Thursday, May 28, 2009

Knight in Pajamas

Once upon a time (about two weeks ago), on a very dark night (well it was very dark in the house anyway) a baby cried. Now hearing a baby cry in the middle of the night is not an uncommon thing, despite the fact that he is one he still does not sleep through the night most of the time. But on this particular night sleep had seized me quite deeply and my eyes were very blurry as I groggily dragged myself out of bed. As I stumbled down the stairs with baby in tow I closed my eyes for a second to clear my blurry contacts (yes I do sleep in them). When suddenly the stairs seemed to disappear as a I missed a step and was thrown to the floor by that horrible force called gravity. My foot took the brunt of the fall and a searing pain shot through it, I fell over in horrible agony and a loud urgent scream escaped me. Fortunately I was able to keep the baby in my left arm until I hit the floor and then laid him down gently and safely on the floor. Though he wasn't hurt he too began screaming as he did not understand why his mother was crying so. Then swiftly down the stairs came my Knight in Pajamas, though he too was weary he was ready to save the day! He quickly went to work lifting me to the couch and making me feel comfortable. He used his hero skills to ice, elevate and bandage my poor sprained foot. He calmed the scared baby and got him his bottle. Then he even carried me up the steep stairway and down the long hall to my cozy bed. Now you are in luck for this story has a happy ending, with such good care from my wonderful knight (who also took the next day off work to help me) my sprained foot healed very quickly and within three days I felt completely better and was walking like nothing had ever happened. Oh what would I do without my wonderful Knight in Pajamas!

No comments: