Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Accident

I write this post for the sake of remembering; and to share with you how the Lord can bless us in ways we could never imagine!

On March 13, 2010 we were headed west on I-80 to a desert race that Preston was supposed to ride in that day. He wanted us all to come and watch him race. The morning started out cold and rainy but Preston didn't think that would matter in the desert. In fact rain can make the sand easier to ride on and less dusty, so he wasn't worried. His cousin Joel came out to go with us and help too. He said the weather didn't look good, but still Preston wasn't worried. We were running behind and Preston had to eat breakfast so I took the wheel. (side note: Preston is a much better driver than me and usually drives when we are going anywhere far. And because he is from Idaho he is especially a better driver than me in bad weather!) The rain started getting pretty bad and we had a few good down pours. I was trying to be very careful and wasn't going too fast. Finally the rain let up and Preston said I could speed up a little. I noticed that the temperature had dropped 10 degrees since we had left and I was starting to get worried. A wet slushy snow started to fall and Preston told me that I better slow down now. I let off the gas to slow down and instantly the van began to spin. I didn't know what to do or if there was anything we could do to stop it. We spun into the median and I tried to put on the brakes to see if it would help, but instead we started rolling. We had Preston's bike and trailer hooked to the van and as he looked into his side mirror he could see them flying through the air. It all happened so fast we can hardly remember it. It is a scary feeling knowing that you're family is in danger and you have no control over what is happening! We rolled twice then landed on our side (the driver side) and I immediately began to check if everyone was okay. Joel said he was bleeding and he had a cooler on top of him. I slid out of my seat and pulled the cooler off and tried to help. Preston reached down to grab his cell phone and called 911 while we were still in the car. The dispatcher told him to stay put, but there was no way we were staying in a van that was on its side with a gas jug leaking in the back! We were so fortunate that someone had not been too far behind us, saw the whole thing and stopped to help. It was also lucky that he wasn't any closer or we would have hit him! He climbed up on the van and grabbed Kierra as I helped her out. Then he got the boys out, then Joel and finally me. Joel's window had been the only one that shattered and his face was covered in glass. He bled through all the napkins we had and then had to take off his shirt to help stop the bleeding! The snow was starting to fall heavily now and it was very cold. More people stopped to help. Someone whisked the kids away into the back seat of their car to keep them warm and even gave them juice and cookies. Preston got out of the van and he and a bunch of guys put the van back on its feet. Someone ran over with a first aid kit and started cleaning up Joel's face. You would think that in the middle of such a hectic situation you would just want to sit down and cry. But instead I felt strength to do what I needed to do, and peace that this was all happening for a reason. I ran across I-80 to check on the kids and found Kierra still covered in bits of glass. I pulled the glass out of her eyes and someone handed me a warm moist towel to clean the glass and blood off of her face. In the end her eyes were fine and she only had a few minor scratches. Another couple and their son stopped who were on their way back from the race. They had decided not to participate because of the bad weather. They put Joel in their truck (I was getting very worried about him at this point as he was cold and shaking and had lost a lot of blood) and offered to take Preston's bike back to our house for us. I just couldn't believe the out pouring of service from so many complete strangers! Half an hour later the police and ambulance finally showed up (we were about 40 miles west of Grantsville so it took them awhile). Then their were explanations to give, reports to file, papers to sign and blood pressure checks. All the while I'm standing out in the cold in just my thin jacket and trying to run back and forth to the police and the ambulance and the kids and Joel. When that was all finished we began to pick up our belongings and the food that had been scattered all over the median. We salvaged what we could and then let the tow truck haul away the rest. Since we were to far out to have family come and get us we split up between the nice couple taking Preston's bike and two police cars. The boys thought it was great to ride home in a police car, Kierra just fell asleep. Joel's parent's met us at our house and took him back to Salt Lake to an urgent care center. He had to wear a neck brace and get glass pulled out of his face. Poor guy! Back home we threw everything in the kitchen and crashed in front of a movie, very grateful that we were at home and not at the hospital!

Now that you've heard the terrible story of our very crazy accident I must tell you about all the blessings we have seen before during and after the accident. A week before the accident Irene came down to get Jaiden. Just out of blue she said she wanted to come get him. I thought maybe that would be my opportunity to finish fixing up our rental house. Now I know the real reason she came and got him, the Lord was protecting my baby!!! The spot that he normally sits was exactly where Joel was sitting! And can you imagine dealing with a two year old on the scene of an accident like that?! I am so grateful to my mother in-law for listening to the prompting to come and get him.
Next as we were driving down I-80 just 5 or 10 minutes before the accident Joel noticed that the boys didn't have their seat belts on in the back. I don't know when they took them off or if they just hadn't listened to me and never put them on. I immediately yelled back and told them to get them on that instant! I am so grateful to Joel for being there and saving my boys from tumbling around in a rolling van. And if Joel hadn't been their it could have been Kierra with a face full of glass instead. Thank you Joel for protecting my kids that day! Then their was the blessing of all those who stopped to help us after the accident and kind neighbors and friends who brought us dinner and helped clean our kitchen. We are so grateful for all of you and your kind service!

As we waited to hear from the insurance company about the van we wondered why this had happened. Why when our plate was already so full and we were very burdened financially would the Lord let this happen. I knew after the accident that I had felt at peace and that this was all happening for a reason and soon that reason was made known to us. We had sold our car really cheap to a couple in need and had been down to one vehicle for about a month and a half. Preston had been wanting a truck for a long time and so far things just hadn't worked out to get one. The Wednesday after the accident Allstate called and told us that the van was totaled. When I first thought about the van being totaled I was very worried. I was afraid we would have no way of getting another vehicle as our credit has taken a heavy blow lately. Then I realized that we had gap insurance and the van would be paid off completely, wiping us clean of that debt we so regretted incurring. I felt like I should ask my dad for help and sure enough he was willing to take out a home equity loan for us to get a new vehicle. We decided to get two older vehicles instead so that Preston could have a truck. Now we have $5,000 less debt than we did and $240 a month less in payments!!! The Lord can truly bless us in unexpected ways! We also got some money for the damage to the trailer and may get a settlement because of the bike and injuries. Despite the aches and pains, tons of paperwork and endless chiropractor visits, we are grateful for this experience because we have learned to trust the Lord and put our lives into his hands!

Oh and we love our new vehicles!!! Even though they are older, they are exactly what we need right now. The van is an eight passenger Pontiac Montana which is so helpful for carpooling! It also has a power right side door which is very handy when the kids forget to close it! I had it detailed and it feels like a brand new van! I am so grateful for it!

Preston's truck has a few dings and needs some work.
But he loves the power of the 7.2 liter Chevy engine! He is also happy to learn to be a better mechanic and is more than willing to help fix it up. We are so grateful again for our many blessings!!!

3 comments:

CasaJenkins said...

Really big blessing that no one was really hurt.

Chantalle R. said...

Most people would look at the negative. What a great example for your children to always look for the hand of the lord in things. So glad you are all okay. Love ya Katherine!!!

Emily S said...

I knew about your accident, but not details - wow, what an experience. I started crying when I read about how your boys got their seat belts on at the last minute. I am SO grateful to hear everything has worked out!