It seems strange that another year of my life has come and gone. Time is such a funny thing, it seems to go so slow until you stop and take a look back, then you wonder how it passed so quickly. It doesn't seem that long ago that I received a birthday surprise and found out my baby who I thought was going to be a girl was really a boy. This has been such a unique year for me and I started thinking about all the things I've done in the last year that I've never done before. It seems odd that I've had so many firsts in the last year, after all I've been married nine years and have been a mother for 7 1/2. Yet life never ceases to surprise me and bring all kinds of new adventures!
So here is my list of things that before my last birthday I had never done before:
~Never cried during an ultrasound
~Never moved at Christmas time
~Never owned two houses
~Never picked out paint colors
~Never had four kids
~Never had three busy boys
~Never rode in an ambulance
~Never had a child in Primary Children's hospital
~Never had a renter die while living in our house
~Never had a big gaping hole in my backyard
~Never had two kids in elementary school
~Never taught preschool
~Never taught CTR-5 or CTR-8
~Never made a souffle'
~Never made homemade cinnamon rolls
~Never made homemade bread (without a bread maker)
~Never helped make homemade salsa
~Never made crepes (but always wanted to)
~Never completely cut my hair on my own
~Never taught piano lessons (except to family members)
~Never grown a pumpkin in my own backyard
~Never had Thanksgiving at my house
~Never cooked the Thanksgiving Turkey
~Never highlighted anyone's hair
~Never been paid to play my flute
~Never helped my husband apply for the Air Force
~Never had two kids in glasses
~Never had a child on a nebulizer
~Never sang in the Church History Museum
~Never been just a stay at home mom for a whole year!
~And I've never had such amazing neighbors! Now don't get me wrong, we have lived in a lot of places and have had a lot of good friends and neighbors, but never have I felt so comfortable and never have our kids had such good friends as they have here. How grateful I am that when I was struggling with my newborn I knew that my little three year old was safely being watched by other loving mothers (especially you J), even though I hadn't asked them to and didn't even always know where he was. I have seen such a spirit of service here, not just for myself but for others also, and I am so grateful to be surrounded by that.
So thank you to all my wonderful friends and family who have helped make this year a great one. Here's to many more firsts and many more adventures ahead!!!
3 comments:
Happy Birthday, Katherine! You really have had an amazing--and at times scary--year! It was so interesting to read through your list. There's lots of stories I need to hear! I'm glad you have had such a good year, and I hope the next one brings nothing but more happiness and new adventures for you! Happy Birthday!!
wow that is a lot of nevers. when you stop and think it dose go by fast. I cant belive you have been married for 9 year. love you post.
I feel privileged to have witnessed many of your firsts this year! The salsa and the crepes were definitely a highlight! It's great to have you as a neighbor and friend! Maybe this spring our husbands can do something about that hole in your backyard. Good luck with the Air Force thing. Our prayers are with you. Let me know if there's anything you need.
Post a Comment